Sunday 10 June 2012

My Experience with CUDA & GPUs

Like most of You, I started learning GPU programming on my own. I got hold of the book titled "CUDA By Example" from nVIDIA website and started gobbling it page by page. The funny thing was, right in the beginning of Chapter 1, it was mentioned that only three (03) things are needed to learn and write a CUDA program, namely:-
1. Visual Studio 2008
2. CUDA SDK
3. A Graphical Processing Unit (GPU)
I was so glad that I had all these things in my Desktop. However, nothing was mentioned in the book about integrating CUDA in Visual Studio 2008 so the ".cu" file could be compiled and run on the desktop. So I dug in. Searched the Internet for about a week and tried everything I could find. Finally, after long hours and efforts, I managed to run my first ever "HelloCUDAWorld" program.
The motivation of creating this page is to lessen the hardships beginners face while getting acquainted with CUDA and GPU programming. I shall put in best of my efforts to include step by step process to integrate CUDA with Visual Studio and other such related issues. It is intended to be an open ended blog, mainly to encourage youth and researchers from Pakistan to study and take up this hugely important and vast area of research. Let's hope I can do a good job. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment